Monday, August 30, 2010

The politics of the bra

As a divorced mother, I was very careful how I spent money. One of the luxuries I gave up was lingerie. For ten years I continued to wear the same bras. No one saw them, so it didn’t matter how old they looked.

During the ten years, the discomfort of wearing a bra become increasingly more unbearable. I was complaining one day to a good friend about how uncomfortable my bra was and lamenting the fact that I would have to spend money on new ones.

Mary asked me what size I wore. I told her a 32. Her mouth dropped open and she told me that her daughter wore a 32. Her daughter was pencil thin. I wasn’t.

During the ten years, I had gained weight and my bras had stretched as I grew. Finally, they became unbearably uncomfortable when they couldn’t stretch any more. Later, when I measured I wore a 40.

We become increasingly uncomfortable with things in life and we tend to tolerate it until it reaches a point that we can’t stand it anymore. Then we complain and someone comes along to help us understand what has created the discomfort.

I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the way that politicians have become so ugly. In a conversation a couple of months ago, I was talking to someone about the polarization of Americans. We have increasingly become a “we-them” society of labeled people instead of an “US.”

Any disagreement of policies or positions creates name calling and insults. People take hard stands on every issue and are unwilling to listen to the other side’s opinion.

This past weekend one of the prophets of the right held a rally and a prophet on the left held an opposing rally. One group was talking about taking back America and the other group was trying to keep their piece of the pie from being hijacked.

What would happen if people would discuss racism, social improvement, government budgetary issues, job growth with open minded willingness to compromise on issues. You know what I mean. A little give and take! This would be much more comfortable than the constant grandstanding for the crowds that is currently going on.
If our forefathers had not been willing to LISTEN to each other and reach compromise our country would not have been formed. As a nation we have struggled through difficult periods because politicians were willing to work together.

We have grown so much as a nation, but we have outgrown our ability to solve problems. The polarization of the nation has become increasingly more uncomfortable, just like my bra did.

No comments: