Monday, June 7, 2010

The Oath

When playing the word association game, why is it that the first word to come to mind when someone says “government” is “corruption.” We have a long history of political corruption. When Abraham Lincoln was president, he asked Thaddeus Stevens if Simon Cameron (one of Lincoln’s cabinet members) would steal. Stevens said that he would not “steal a hot stove.” Later, when Cameron confronted Stevens, Stevens was forced to retract. As a retraction he said, “Well, he is very mad and made me promise to retract. I will now do so. I believe I told you he would not steal a red-hot stove. I will now take that back.”

Dealing with political corruption is almost a daily event in America. It is evident from the lowest level of government to the highest level. Right now our former school superintended in a Metro Atlanta County is under indictment for racketeering, a County Commissioner in Mobile is under arrest for murdering his mistress, Rod Blagojevich the former governor of Illinois was arrested for corruption, bribery, wire fraud, and attempting to sell Barack Obama’s Senate seat, David Paterson of New York has scandal brewing for interfering in a domestic violence case and soliciting free world series tickets. Paterson replaced Eliot Spitzer when Spitzer resigned after being entangled in a prostitution scandal. I can add John Edwards’ infidelity and Mark Stanford of South Carolina’s infidelity and trip to Argentina to see his girl friend. The list is endless. Tomorrow new names will be added to it.

What is it about power and corruption? Do we only elect people who are crooked enough to handle the other crooks or is it simply that only crooks will run for office?

When I think of all the funds that are spent to elect crooks to office, to keep them in office, to fund their personal projects and to provide for their retirement, I feel sick. Why do we have them swear an oath on the Bible when they are elected? It would be much more appropriate to have them swear the following oath. At least they would be honest when they took it.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of (fill in appropriate title), and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend my personal wealth, self centered desires as well as those of my closest cronies. At no time will I forfeit my own interest for those of the people who elected me. As an elected official, I promise to use your money, your children’s money and your grandchildren’s money in order to achieve these goals.

1 comment:

Lillie said...

How right you are.Our President is only concerned with how much we can all do for him and his family.The job rate only increased in the White house because Mrs. Obama has to have so much extra help. Isn't it amazing how the other first ladies were so well equipped to handle their role as the wife of the President of the United States.

This doesn't say very much good for Michele. However she is very good at playing with children
Keep up the good reporting.
Lillie